SEGA… What do you think of when you hear that word? Do you think of the console with the iconic, harmonized voice fire ups or do you think of the countless gaming hits from Sonic the Hedgehog to Golden Axe to the Persona series?
When we think of SEGA, we think of its evolution as a pioneer in the video game market to one of the most prominent video game developers and publishers ever! Globally, SEGA has over 5,000 employees passionately working to bring the best gaming entertainment to players around the planet. We have one of, if not the richest, portfolio of original IPs – something we are very proud of and excited about as the market continues to change.
New streaming technologies and shifts in the retail landscape are well poised for what will be the most disruptive and innovative time in our industry. Our IP strategy positions us well for this, and we are enthusiastic about the future!
There’s never been a more exciting time in the company’s history to join SEGA!
Reporting to the Director of Product Strategy, the Sr. Manager, Product Strategy is charged with driving world-class product marketing and research across the Sonic the Hedgehog video game portfolio. Working closely with studio development partners and other business stakeholders, and based on research and data-driven initiatives, you will help shape and inform the product vision, plan marketing strategy, and drive the go-to-market tactical plan, as well as the business plan, for your titles globally. As an accomplished marketer, creative thinker, and team leader, you will develop strong planning processes, and play a pivotal role as part of the marketing team that will continue to drive innovation and constantly advance Sonic’s marketing capability and performance.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Sonic Game Title Marketing: Through a hands-on approach and working closely with all partners (including but not limited to Brand Marketing, Sales, Creative, Research, Business Planning, Agencies, and other teams), you will be the custodian of integrated marketing on your portfolio of games. Through targeted research you will lead the development of title positioning, audience definition/sizing and the over-arching marketing strategy. After development of foundational strategy, you will drive the timely planning and execution of highly tactical, integrated go-to-market plans across all marketing channels. You will be responsible for ensuring that all parts of the marketing toolset align to the marketing strategy, and that a truly 360-degree approach is embraced and executed from planning to execution.
- Research Initiatives: Leads research initiatives to define product-specific target audience personas, understand audience definition and segmentation, provide insight into established market norms, validate product concepts and features, and perform SWOT analysis.
- Media/Advertising Plans: Works closely with Sega’s media planning agency to develop and execute targeted media plans for both multi-million dollar campaigns as well as smaller budgets.
- Creative Asset Development: Interacts directly with Sega’s graphic design team and oversees web development initiatives, digital/promotions agencies and other external creative agencies to develop high-impact, innovative marketing communications (eg- TV advertising, website, trailers, packaging, etc.).
- Marketing Approvals: Works with legal and product development teams on timely planning and approval of marketing plans, contracts, and related creative assets.
- First Parties: Together with our brand marketing team, leads development and maintenance of strong relationships with Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft (and ESRB) to ensure timely approvals on all marketing submissions while working to secure beneficial coverage/placement of assigned titles via 1st party platforms.
- Events: Oversees product participation in events, working together with sister companies to ensure all events are supported and meet the company’s objectives.
- Sku Planning Support: Works closely with Product Development teams to create sku plans for each title that optimize each product launch for the marketplace and engages consumer research to identify market opportunities for creating games/optimizing messaging.
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: Works closely and collaboratively with Sonic’s cross-functional groups, including Licensing, Animation, and others.
- Internal Development Process: Acts as marketing representative in all procedural product “greenlight” meetings designed to move products forward as part of global internal process.
- Packaging Development: Leads physical packaging efforts for all retail focused gaming product skus and key art for digital skus.
- Sales Support: Liaise with Sales team to ensure that the group has all necessary materials for making an impact while pitching to retail, at events, and in-store at launch. Accompanies sales team to pitch products when necessary.
- Brand Presentations: Together with our brand marketing team, oversees creation and presents marketing pitch materials for external use to communicate with business partners about the games.
- Budgeting: Responsible for various relevant marketing budgets working closely with finance and business planning groups.
- International Focus: Manages close relationships and works together with other key contacts in sister divisions worldwide to ensure that plans are global in nature and that assets are developed in time to allow for localization.
- Lead and mentor: Support direct reports in their career development, constantly develops and applies best practices, fosters great communication and collaboration with studio partners, and establishes and improves processes across the team and organization.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications or Business
- 5-7 years of video game marketing experience, to include 4+ years in a Product Marketing or Product Management role
- Experience leading qualitative and quantitative video game research initiatives
- Familiarity with the US / EMEA marketing region, while working in a global environment
- Direct experience with first party process, procedures, and best practices working with Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo
- Passion for videogames (especially Sonic), pop culture, and entertainment
- Strong writing, editing, and verbal communication
- Strong presentation design and presenting skills
- Demonstrable experience in creative “outside-the-box” thinking
- Possess exceptional interpersonal skills to foster co-operative and productive relationships both internally and externally
- Exhibit an ability to learn quickly, an inherent curiosity, and an ability to think both critically and creatively in order to develop and deliver commercially successful new product offerings
- Be highly commercial and possess sound judgement—able to spot opportunities and quickly capitalize on them—with a strong financial and analytical acumen; inclination to think in terms of new business opportunities / models, cost/benefit analysis, and using a data-driven approach
- Blend business and technical expertise to most effectively represent new product initiatives to internal/external stakeholders, as well as engage in meaningful dialogues with fellow product, user experience, and technical colleagues
- Provide strong organizational and planning skills; proven ability to manage and monitor multiple work-streams in parallel
|Job Category||SENIOR MANAGER, PRODUCT STRATEGY, SONIC STUDIO|