SEGA… What do you think of when you hear that word? Do you think of the console with the iconic, harmonized voice fire ups or do you think of the countless gaming hits from Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe, or the Persona series?…
When we think of SEGA, we think of its evolution from a pioneer in the video game market to one of the most prominent video game developers and publishers ever! Globally, SEGA has over 5,000 employees passionately working to bring the best gaming entertainment to players around the planet. We have one of, if not the richest, portfolio of original IPs – something we are very proud of and excited about as the market continues to change.
New streaming technologies and shifts in the retail landscape are well poised for what will be the most disruptive and innovative time in our industry. Our IP strategy positions us well for this, and we are enthusiastic about the future!
There’s never been a more exciting time in the company’s history to join SEGA!
SEGA of America is seeking a Localization Tools Engineer to help empower our world-class localization team to leverage tools, automation, and technology to connect with our development partners and international localization and QA teams.
For this position, we are looking someone who is not only familiar with programming languages like #C and Java, and/or scripting languages like Visual Basic and Python and loves solving manual tasks with automated solutions, but also has a love for video games and languages and hopefully speaks one or two. Our ideal candidate is not necessarily a veteran engineering genius, but rather someone who is looking to move into the video game localization and testing space by leveraging their automation and tooling experience. However, if you are experienced in the space and are looking to build things and solve problems, we would love to talk to you.
You should apply for this job if…
- You have a degree in Computer Science, Programming, or other related field and/or experience.
- You have programming and software engineering experience that you’d like to leverage in the gaming space.
- You have a deep interest in the art of localization and in languages themselves, and can perhaps even speak more than one.
- You love spending your day writing scripts and tools to automate tasks and move data from one format to another with scripting languages such as Visual Basic, Python, C# and more, or building new connectivity and structure to help others work better, faster, and smarter.
- You have experience connecting with online resources such as SQL databases and SVN servers to pull text data for analysis and conversion.
- You love analyzing data for insights and trends, and making those insights available via charts and graphs.
- You are a quick study on new tools and applications, and can quickly uncover hidden features and APIs that can be utilized to accomplish tasks a normal user my not have the capability to solve.
- You are a problem solver, not only for yourself but for others. You love to interact with others and find out what you could do to help them do their jobs better.
- You are adept at documenting your tools so others can easily pick them up and modify them to suit their specific situations.
- Video games are love, video games are life. You love playing games and want to help and empower those who make them.
In the SEGA localization Department, you will spend your days…
- Working with Project Managers to set up automated localization frameworks to remove manual, human interaction when it comes to text assets.
- Helping to design data conversion workflows and advising localization project teams on how to integrate with them.
- Writing automation scripts to pull text files and assets from remote locations, convert to other formats, and implementing syncing automation with tools such as MemoQ and SVN.
- Generating snapshot progress and change reports based on data deltas.
- Listening to how the localization teams work and building or adjusting existing data workflows to better meet the team needs and/or create more capability and resilience in their work.
- Crafting and casting Regex spells.
Key Job Qualifications:
- Software Engineering or Computer Science degree or a minimum of two years equivalent work experience.
- Understanding of professional software development best practice.
- Can effectively use Python, Visual Basic, Excel Macros, and C#. Regex is a big plus.
- Passing knowledge of localization toolsets, such as MemoQ or Trados preferred. Experience working with Asian language text preferred.
- Ability to demonstrate tools building experience.
- Experience in any of the following fields are an advantage:
- Localization processes
- LiveOps and real-time deployment
- Machine Learning
- UI/UX design and implementation
- Data science
- Game development
- Fluency in a non-English language (preferably Japanese) a big plus put not a requirement.
|Job Category||LOCALIZATION ENGINEER, PRODUCTION|