From the concept stage to finished products, the Creative Director will own the creative vision for a line of products leveraging certain classic SEGA brands, providing top-level direction to external work-for-hire development partners. Reporting to the Vice President of Production, The Creative Director will work independently of but closely with various publishing-side producers, who will manage project logistics and submit milestone deliverables (including art assets and playable samples) to the Creative Director for feedback and creative approval. The Creative Director will be instrumental in finding the fun in the game, guiding the big ideas, and making suggestions on how to accomplish the creative goals for the project. The director will either review and improve upon game concepts received through an RFP process or may generate concepts internally to be used in soliciting partners to execute on the vision. Throughout the development process, the C.D. will consider all aspects of the game (features, innovation, tone, art direction, art assets, audio/music, UI, narrative) from a creative perspective and ensure that they work together cohesively to deliver on the concept’s full potential and result in a product competitive in the marketplace. Communication—verbal, written, and visual—will, therefore, be essential to the role.
Additionally, as a secondary function, the Creative Director will also be asked to review and provide feedback on concepts originating at our Japan headquarters, with the goal of making such products more impactful and successful in the Western market.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as creative lead for a line of products, partnering with external development studios and internal producers to achieve the finished products.
- Own the creative target and vision for the project (overall game design, look and feel, as well as goals for specific assets and features).
- Review and approve all creative deliverables throughout the production cycle, from concept to finished product (creative quality control)
- Develop and pitch creative concepts to the management team proactively to fulfill the needs of the business; Review concepts and design docs generated by external partners and improve upon the ideas through clear feedback
- Offer input into the formulation of strategies for the product line/portfolio
- Review concepts from Japan development teams and provide constructive feedback in collaboration with PD Management to enhance products’ potential for the Western audience
- Maintain effective communication lines with senior management, producers, marketing, and development partners
- Stay abreast of industry trends and innovate through game design to keep brands relevant and fresh
Qualifications and Skills:
- 10 or more years of videogame industry experience in development; A minimum of 3 years’ professional experience in a creative leadership role.
- Well-rounded individual with a strong understanding of all creative aspects of development, but especially with a strength in aesthetics
- Able to generate compelling game concepts, recognize the strength in concepts and design docs generated by others, and improve those ideas through clear feedback
- Attention to detail
- Ability to inspire others to work towards creative targets and common goals
- Excellent communication and presentation skills. Able to articulate a rationale for creative choices. Effective at providing visually-oriented feedback (for example, via draw-overs)
- Work collaboratively with individuals and teams across disciplines
- Functions with a high degree of autonomy
- Demonstrated history of producing impactful, high-quality content with a distinctive look and feel
Preferred Skills / Submission Materials:
- Familiarity with SEGA brands
- Portfolio including original game concepts
Local candidates only please. No relocation.