SEGA… What do you think of when you hear that word? Do you think of the console with the iconic, harmonized voice fire ups or do you think of the countless gaming hits from Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe, or the Persona series?…
When we think of SEGA, we think of its evolution as a pioneer in the video game market to one of the most prominent video game developers and publishers ever! Globally, SEGA has over 5,000 employees passionately working to bring the best gaming entertainment to players around the planet. We have one of, if not the richest, portfolio of original IPs – something we are very proud of and excited about as the market continues to change.
New streaming technologies and shifts in the retail landscape are well poised for what will be the most disruptive and innovative time in our industry. Our IP strategy positions us well for this, and we are enthusiastic about the future!
There’s never been a more exciting time in the company’s history to join SEGA!
The Senior Manager, Consumer and Competitor Insight is a key role within the Marketing Services Group. Working closely with SEGA of America’s (SOA) marketing leadership and SEGA of Europe’s (SOE) research team the successful candidate will surface deep customer insight and quantify competitor strategy to support the brand marketing and business planning processes.
Working across the portfolio of IP’s and platforms, this is a hands-on planning role, actively collaborating with cross-functional teams to understand, define and deliver the marketing insight toolset.
Duties and Responsibilities
Oversee consumer research
- Work closely with the brand marketing teams to understand their needs to develop meaningful consumer insights around their brands including but not limited to brand analysis and product concept testing, target audience definition and understanding, product positioning and feature testing, creative and messaging testing.
Establish a competitive marketing effectiveness methodology
- Work closely with the marketing leadership team to define and then maintain a methodology that allows SOA to understand competitive launch marketing metrics, set KPI’s for our own activations and manage longitudinal tracking against such KPI’s for key product launches.
- Track multi-platform market trends (genre, features, business models and industry news).
- Conduct market and competitor publisher case-studies to identify solutions & opportunities for SEGA publishing and studio planning pipelines.
- Review and regularly report competitor acquisition and store creative to help the Growth Marketing team drive efficiencies and yield. Determine which creative is scaling and how stores/landing pages evolve with product updates.
- Collaborate with Dev/Product on DLC roadmaps: Provide competitor product roadmaps and feature requirements, including timing of feature updates (days since release), cadence of content growth and impact on LTV’s required to hit KPI benchmarks.
- Work with Business Planning team to provide and or support competitor DLC roadmap analysis including quantity and timing of releases, type of DLC (game vs. cosmetics), attach rates, pricing, DLC promotion (in and out of games), content leveraged through community strategy, season pass usage etc.
Data sourcing, vendor management and visualization:
- Manage market intel vendor budget.
- Identify, create and manage relationships with key vendors providing value-adding market data (NPD, Interpret, GWI Newzoo, SuperData, App Annie, GameRefinery, Statista, etc.).
- Work with vendors to provide regular feedback to improve their services to better support SOA and ensure SOA is included in all beta-testing for new vendor programs. (ie. App Annie’s Bulk API beta test, Gamerefinery alpha testing, etc.) .
- Oversee and manage vendor research projects (ie. leveraging EEDAR to do PC/Console competitor-set feature teardown and brand positioning analysis).
- Collaborate with Business Intelligence (BI) to bring all data from market intel vendors into the SOA database.
- Collaborate with BI to create end-user friendly dashboards for accessing all data.
Collaborate with Business Planning team as needed to support P&L work, setting and monitoring KPI’s
Skills and Abilities
- 5+ years’ experience in research and analysis spanning digital gaming ecosystems, emerging platforms and packaged goods.
- Experience guiding companies toward understanding competitive landscapes and how they can increase their competitive advantage in each market they operate.
- Highly strategic mindset, with exceptional communication skills, and capable of building a strong collaboration with internal cross-functional stakeholders as well as external partners. You are especially adept at translating complex data sources into business insights and interacting with executives.
- SQL, Tableau and advanced excel proficiency.
- Forecast model literacy and experience with secondary data analysis.
- Understanding of user acquisition on mobile, browser and digital console platforms gained from frontline experience at a games publisher, adverting network, direct response media agency or relevant professional field.
- Intellectually curious with strong analytical skills, including demonstrated ability to perform complex data analysis and building data-driven reports.
- Strong project management skills and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines.
- Self-motivated, revenue driven and passionate about supporting SEGA as a leader in the online games space.
- Outstanding oral, written and multi-cultural communication skills.
- Able to mentor and develop other team members and individuals throughout the organization on best practices.
- Must be detail-oriented, possess good time management as well as business process management skills and be able to prioritize in a changing environment.
- Must be an active player of mobile, PC and console games, able to understand the perspective of both casual and core gamers.
Local applicants only please (No Relocation)